Monday, November 30, 2009

Back in Black...Well, Back Anyways

Actually, now that I think about it, I am back in black as I have mostly black on today. Whatever.

It's been almost two weeks since I last posted and quite a bit has happened. The first thing I want to talk about is the fact that I got to participate in the annual tradition that is the Lions playing on Thanksgiving Day. I was mostly excited because they were playing the Packers, my second favorite NFL team. Let me tell you, I did not have any thoughts that Ford Field would be just as amazing as it is. That building is a site to behold. I expected it to be a sanitized, watered down version of an NFL stadium, mostly because I think domes are stupid. I couldn't have been more wrong. That place was FILLED with character. Each side of the stadium was different. On the visitor's side it was a very "industrial" feel with a cement walkway that was very well lit. On the home side of the stadium, the walkway was a brick road with cast-iron fences in front of the seating sections. The lighting was not nearly as bright as the visitor's side of the stadium. It was a really nice contrast and gave it a feeling like they really want the home team to feel at home. All in all, it was a great trip as I got to see the Packers lay the wood to the Lions. Making it doubly sweet was the fact that I have Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay's Defense on my Fantasy Team (They both got me 23 Fantasy points).

Also, the Browns have had two games and lost both of them. One in heart-breaking fashion on an untimed down after a pass interference call on a "Hail Mary" by the defense. That was against the Lions...yes, the Browns lost to the Lions. Did I mention that the Browns were WINNING 24-3 in the FIRST QUARTER? They had the game in the palm of their hand and the Defense let it all go away. They made Matthew Stafford look like Peyton Manning leading a comeback like that. At first I was extremely pissed that the pass interference was even called...and then I saw the replay. The defender didn't really give the refs a choice. They HAD to make that call.

Then they lost to the Bengals. The Defense played a great game in this one, in my opinion. Some will say that offenses play conservative against the Browns because they know they will win. Well, I don't think that the Bengals purposely won by just nine points. The Bengals didn't let the Browns stick around like that. The defense earned it and the offense couldn't capitalize. Had it not been for Shaun Rogers' horse collar penalty at the end of the first half, the Browns are looking at needing a Touchdown to win the game. The Browns have now given up 10 points on untimed downs this season.

Tiger Woods wrecked his car. I don't care why, I don't care how, please stop talking about it. It's not news.

The Indians hired Sandy Alomar Jr. to be the first base coach and catcher's coach. This is a great PR move by the Tribe and I think it will pay off to some degree. First.....

This just in, Charlie Weis was fired.

...he'll be working with the Indians catchers VERY closely. Sandy was a great defensive catcher and under his tutelage I think the Indians' catchers will be some of the best at picking off potential base stealers. Second, there are some fans that will come just to see him in an Indians uniform again. Nevermind that Wyatt Torregas currently has number 15 on his back. That should change soon. Unfortunately, the Indians missed out on bringing back Omar Vizquel, another fan favorite from the '90's. He's going to the hated White Sox. Hey Omar, you're dead to me until you're out of that nasty city, ESPECIALLY since Shapiro actually did something smart and offered you a comeback.

I think that's all for now. Hall of Fame ballots are out and maybe I'll take a look at that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment