Thursday, November 5, 2009

Jason Kaminski Responds

Starting tomorrow, I will be participating in a new blog. I will also continue writing this one. The new blog, to be titled "Heads or Tails," will be a back-and-forth blog by Jason and I. We will discuss sports, movies, music and life in general. To get ready for that, Jason has written a blog in response to my most recent blog. Here it is...

It is a common theme these days to be hard on the Browns and Indians due to their lack of success. I thought this topic was a good one to discuss since it hits close to home for us both. Though I share a lot of the same sentiment that Matt does I have some differing opinions on a few things. First the Indians. We both grew up during a time when we just barely remember the bad days of the 80's and vividly remember the excitement of the 90's glory days. I do think it's sad when people "dismiss" teams as "their" teams because lets face it that is the definition of fair weather fandom. I feel I can never blindly follow a team and act like all is right with the world. Here's what I expect. Do what you can to win and don't lie to the fans who fund your paycheck. I believe the Indians SHOULD be questioned for their moves. I feel the Indians SHOULD take responsibility for bad moves instead of building up their GM like he's the second coming of Jesus. Other than the Colon for prospects deal, Shapiro has made bad move after bad move. I think that people who desert the team are weak but those who question it are passionate. We deal with "rebuilding" far too often.

Second the Browns. Here's where I differ greatly. I LOVE...repeat...LOVE the organized stayout and here is why. I have been a Browns fan my whole life and it was a very traumatic experience getting the team taken away from us. When the Browns came back people were just happy to have a team back in town. Fast forward to 10 years later. Our team is the laughing stock of the NFL and we were once the gold standard. Fans are tired of excuses. Fans are tired of the runaround. They are tired of losing. Embarrassed at what we've become. I have close friends of the family that have stuck by this team through thick and thin. They spend their hard earned paycheck on season tickets. It seems this team makes the same mistakes over and over and over. Bravo to fans who have the guts to stand up and say, "Look, enough is enough! We love our team so we will continue to buy tickets but we must do something in unison to show our disappointment." I actually wish they could do more because the Browns make some of the highest profits in the NFL and they have lost more than the majority of franchises in the last 10 years. ONE playoff appearance since returning and that was a fluke.

It is in my humble opinion that these things Lerner is trying to do to become more visible is directly related to the fans publicly displaying their displeasure. It's sad that we can not find competent front office people to stabilize this organization. What Matt views as fair weathered and sad I view to be some of the most passionate fan moves you will see. It's not that these fans are "deserting" the Browns. They paid their money for a product they are dissatisfied with. Season tickets are a big purchase for the blue collared, average worker. If you bought a car that performed like the Browns would you remain loyal to it? We love our teams but we expect more out of them than what we've been given. I don't want to hear "we should just be happy we have a team" because that train has left the station years ago. Now it's time we look like a real NFL team and not just a pity party gift from Paul Tagliabue.


So there you have it. Check out tomorow for the new "Heads or Tails" blog!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment