Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Time to Vent

I know that I have been very critical of front office moves by both the Indians and Browns ever since I started writing this blog. I have questioned 99% of the things that each team has done. Some of it I have agreed with. Much of it has been the opposite. But you know what? I love these teams. I love the Indians. I love the Browns. They are MY teams. Always have been, always will be. As much as I have talked about boycotting the Indians if they do this or that, I could never do it. I love the team way too damn much. The same thing goes for the Browns. I hate how they are playing right now but when Sunday comes around I put on my jersey, sit in front of the television and scream my head off as I try to will them to the right decisions. It hasn't worked much but, hey, they won't go win-less. I love the city of Cleveland and I love the sports teams.

Now, the venting part. Why are there so many fair-weather fans in this world? Last Friday, at work, we had costume day. I dressed up as a Cleveland Indians baseball player. I must have received ten or 20 comments on how "scary" my costume was. What a load of crap! Many of these people are the same people that would've done the same thing 12 years ago when the Indians were playoff contenders every season. But now, just because we hit a rough patch, they don't want to associate with the team and call a costume representing a ballplayer as "scary." You know what I say to people like that? Go away. We don't need you. If you're going to be a fan, be a fan. If you're not, then fine. You know what though? Don't come back when that magical day comes and the Indians win the World Series. Don't show your face at the parade down Superior.

It makes me sick that Dawg Pound Mike would try to organize a "Stay Out" until the opening kickoff to make a point that the fans are unhappy. You know who else is unhappy? Randy Lerner. I know the man has been a very private person for most of his ownership period but he made two moves that I love. First, he stood in the Visitor's tunnel Sunday at Soldier Field as the Browns came off the field so they had to look him in the eye. They deserve it too. They are NOT earning the money they are being paid, well, most of them. Joe Thomas, Josh Cribbs, Kamerion Wimbley, these guys are earning their paychecks. They give their all on every play. Second, Randy Lerner decided to fire George Kokinis, less than a year after he was hired. Unfortunately, it was due to Lerner's own negligence that he was put in the position of needing to fire Kokinis. Lerner ignored the chain of command that should have taken place. He should have hired a GM, whoever he wanted, and then let that GM hire a coach. Instead, he let the coach pick his GM. Bad move. It looks like he is really taking the time to try and fix his mistakes.

As much as this team might make you angry, organizing a protest against them, after fighting tooth and nail to get them back after Satan took them to Baltimore, is absolutely ludicrous. This is OUR team. They will always be OUR team unless you turn your back. When you do that, you have no more rights to this team and I don't want to see you associated with them in any way, shape or form. When you do that, they are no longer YOUR team. So either be a fan or don't. No matter what, there will be fans and they will love this team...because they are OURS and no one can take that away from us....again.

No comments:

Post a Comment