Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Losses All Around...

Chris Perez, meet gas can and match, gas can and match, this is Chris Perez. Looks like the three of you will be best of friends. At first I was ok with the trade of Mark DeRosa for a flame throwing reliever but if said flame throwing reliever is just going to hit people, throw wild pitches and fail to cover the bag on a double play opportunity, we could just stick with the stink we already have in the Tribe bullpen. At least we got to see some rare fire from Eric Wedge who got ejected in the 7th inning last night. Nice to see him finally start standing up for his guys. I don't think I can support this team much longer if Eric Wedge continues to be at the helm. I'm going to the game Friday and I'm going to the game on the 19th, but that might be it for me this season. I take that back. They are playing the Orioles in September so I'll go to one of the games against them.

It seems to me that one of the biggest problems the Indians have (I feel like I use this phrase a lot) is making adjustments. Take last night for instance. The Indians were facing Gavin Floyd. The first time he faced Cleveland this season, he gave up eight runs. Since then, he has given up one earned run (two total) in two more starts against the Tribe. Clearly, he has made the adjustments necessary. The Indians haven't...and I just checked again to make sure. This season is the definition of failure. Seriously, look in the dictionary under "Fail" and you'll see the team picture of the 2009 Cleveland Indians. A team that was supposed to make a playoff push this season should not be 16 games under .500, it's just not acceptable.

At least I have the Crushers!!! (Phone rings) What? Really? Damn it. (Click). Well, the Crushers winning streak ended at three games last night at the hands of the Traverse City Beach Bums. They took the series though and to me, winning 2 out of 3 is more important than getting on a huge winning streak, especially when you're holding on to second place in your division. The Crushers are just 4 games out of first, and have a 1.5 game lead on Florence for the #2 spot in the division. Unfortunately, I don't have a boxscore of the game so I don't know what happened but the final was Bums-6, Crushers-4. Next up for the Crushers, a Double Header today with the Midwest Sliders of Ypsilanti. The Sliders have won two in a row but are just 4-6 in their last ten games.

One thing that is very encouraging is the attendance figures at All Pro Freight Stadium. Through 18 home games this season, the Crushers are averaging over 2,600 fans for every game. This puts them in the top half of the league in attendance (5th place out of 12 to be exact) and they are even ahead of the defending Champion, Windy City Thunderbolts in attendance. It's great that they are doing well and as long as they continue playing well I think we will see this trend continue or even get better. It would be great if this team could keep playing strong and make the playoffs in their first season. They've just got to keep doing what they're doing and win games.

Well, I think that takes care of business for today. I'll be back with another update, hopefully on some victories, tomorrow. V-Dub, Out.

1 comment: