Monday, July 27, 2009

That's called a "Winning Streak"

That's right folks, the Indians have dared to leave the cellar and are now in fourth place in the AL Central, just 12 games out of first place. This weekend, the Indians scored 31 runs while giving up just 5 and the starting pitchers (Cliff Lee, Jeremy Sowers and Aaron Laffey) had an ERA of 0.89. For the record, Jeremy and Aaron didn't give up diddly. I'm so glad Aaron was able to get on track. I was worried when he gave up those 3-runs last Sunday but he got his stuff straightened out and has thrown 12 consecutive scoreless innings against the Mariners. He got help from a handful of Double Plays on Friday and retired something like 12 in a row in that game as well. As long as this team keeps trying I will be happy, but I WILL boycott this team if Eric Wedge is the manager next year.

The Lake Erie Crushers have been staying strong too, although they did lose to Kalamazoo yesterday. The next couple games are important for them. They've got the Kings on their home field with a chance to gain a couple games in the standings. Right now, the Crushers are sitting at 32-25, just 4.5 games out of first. As for playoff standing, if I understand correctly, they are a full game up on the Southern Illinois Miners for the final playoff spot. I think I'm going to head to the game tonight to catch the game. Anyone else want to go? Let me know!

The Cavs have made another move, signing Jamario Moon to 2-year deal. He'll be coming off the bench and will be a good compliment to the offense. I really like the Cavaliers chances for the 2009-10 season with the new additions and the people that are sticking around. Any team that can bring a title to this city will be greatly appreciated, although if you ask any Clevelander, I bet they'd say they'd rather have the Indians or Browns do it first.

While we're talking about the Browns, they signed their first round draft pick, Alex Mack so he'll get to training camp on time. I am very, very interested in seeing how Eric Mangini and his staff work out. I am a little weary of this season and I'm not going to get my hopes up too much because I know that if I do, it will be that much harder to take when they fall on their faces. They play a decent schedule this year but I think they can be fairly successful.

The Chicago Cubs are all alone in first place in the National League Central but the Cardinals are doing all the right things to stay in the race. The Yankees are starting to put a little space between themselves and the Red Sox, with a 2.5 game lead right now. The Angels are still leading the West and will probably end up running away with it. The Rangers are staying close but the Angels just won't lose to let them catch up. The Phillies own the NL East and the Dodgers are 8 games up in their division, and I don't see them looking back anytime soon. I can't wait for the playoffs, even though I know my team won't be in them. Playoff baseball is very exciting!

Alright, I'm out for now. I really hope the Indians can keep it up tonight against the Angels, but I am not optimistic. I wish I could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment